Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

To market I go..........

Hi,
It's that time of year.....the time when fruits and veggies are at their best.  I just LOVE native produce.  I enjoy going to local markets, farms and town farmer's markets.  My all time favorite place for native corn is Clover Nook Farm in Bethany.  They have lots of local produce but their corn is spectacular.  It is by far the best in the area.  I've blogged before that at this time of year I try to make time in my day for freezing and storing local produce because come winter, I start to crave it.  So, I buy as much corn as I can, usually a dozen at a time, cook them and cut the kernels off with a knife.  Then I freeze them in a zip lock bag.  When the end of the season comes, I usually have at least 10 to 12 bags of corn in the freezer.  Then I can cook with it or defrost it and eat it fresh. 

Native tomatoes are also something I crave come winter.  When they are abundant, I make an X in their bottom and drop them in to boiling water for about 2 to 3 minutes.  You will see the skin start to lift.  Take them out, cool them and peel the skin.  Drop the tomatoes into a zip lock bag and freeze.  I use these for sauce, soups and when I really want that tomato taste, I stuff them with a bit of Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and fresh herbs. 

Today I went to the Connecticut Natural Food Store on Route 5 in North Haven, right on the Wallingford town line.  This is a great place to go also.  Wonderful produce of all kinds.  I got this HUGE cantaloupe that's from Maryland.  So darn sweet it tastes like candy!! 

The point of this post is to encourage you to go somewhere other than your local supermarket for great summer fruits and veggies.  I promise you that you won't be disappointed.  Now is the time to really grasp our local flavor and to freeze the best of the best. 

Enjoy!!
Love,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment