Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Tiny Tips

Hi There,
I'm writing this blog post as my last for a few weeks.  On Saturday, I head to Russia for several weeks, so I decided to leave you with some tips I've learned over the years.  Some I'm sure you've heard before and others you probably haven't.  I hope you use some, if not all of these.  I find them really helpful!!

Tip 1 - a hunk of parmesan cheese should always be wrapped in wax paper, not plastic wrap.  The wax paper allows the cheese to breathe.  The plastic wrap causes moisture to stay locked inside, causing condensation and then mold. 

Tip 2 - I use a lot of garlic but I know that some people don't use very much.  Sometimes when you have a head of garlic at home that hasn't been used quickly enough, a bright green stem forms in the middle of the clove.  This DOES NOT mean the garlic is bad.  The only thing you have to do is remove the green stem and use the garlic as normal.  The green stem is edible, but it can be bitter so best to remove it. 

Tip 3 - If you are making meatballs or meatloaf, it can be difficult to tell if your mixture is seasoned correctly.  Too often cooks find out after everything is cooked that it could have used a bit more salt or seasoning.  A trick I've used for the past several years is this - take a small bit of the mixture and cook it in a frying pan on top of the stove.  You can then eat it and check for seasoning. 

Tip 4 - Please do not put oil in your pasta water.  If the water is boiling and you stir the pasta, it should never stick together.  The oil will make your pasta slippery and the sauce will not stick to it.  

Tip 5 - Making your own vinaigrette is so much better for you than bottled dressing and it's very easy.  Simple ingredients make a great dressing - salt, pepper, garlic powder, red wine vinegar and whisk in some evoo.  You can even put these ingredients in a jar and shake if you'd rather not whisk. 

Enjoy!!
Love
Beth

2 comments:

  1. Oh just wait, when you come back you can add some Russian food to this blog. Hahahahaha. Right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, What great tips. I did not know about any of these except #5, and I do put oil in my pasta water, but not anymore LOL Thank you

    ReplyDelete