Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Artichokes

I think one of God's most perfect foods is the artichoke.  I love the taste, color and texture of them and they're so much fun to eat!  Some in my house disagree, namely my husband, who thinks that eating food shouldn't require so much work.  He feels the same way about lobster.  I on the other hand feel that something that tastes so good is very much worth all the work!! 

Here is one of my recipes:

Stuffed Artichokes

2 large raw artichokes
1 1/2 cup italian flavored bread crumbs
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Mix together the bread crumbs, garlic, cheese, parsley and oil in a small bowl and set aside.

Trim the artichoke and cut off the first inch.  This is what it should look like. 

With your fingers, spread the leaves gently apart. 

Sprinkle salt and pepper over the two artichokes and then take the stuffing and put a small amount between each of the leaves.  Drizzle with a bit more olive oil and place in a pan with a lid.  Put enough water in the pan to go about half way up the artichoke.  Simmer with the lid on for approximately 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes.  When the leaves pull out of the artichoke easily, they are cooked. 

Before serving drizzle with a touch more olive oil. 
Enjoy!!!

Love, Beth

9 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Excited that you started a blog! I've never eaten artichoke this way - do you have to eat the inner part of the leaf?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! David has volunteered to be your taster. Although not on this rcipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Welcome to the blogging world:-) I have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alaina!! When eating an artichoke this way, I take each leaf and scrap it on my bottom teeth. The tender flesh of the leaf is delicious. As you work your way down to the inner leaves, the top of the leaf gets sharper but the bottom more tender. Eat what you can and then scrap off the choke (the fuzzy part). Under the fuzz is the wonderful heart that will be perfectly tender and sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim
    Tell David I said...........if you only lived a bit closer I'd give him the job as head taste-tester!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the blog - just added it to my toolbar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never made a stuffed artichoke, just the regular kind with garlic and oil without bread crumbs, it looks so delicious I may have to try it. I love artichokes also. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job Beth! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing more of your favorite recipes!

    ReplyDelete