Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Southern Buttermilk Biscuits

When most people think of the south they think of the smoky flavor of barbeque.  Some go in search of the very best, trying every pulled pork and brisket in town.   When I think of the south I think biscuits.  I LOVE them.  The very best I have tasted is at the Loveless Cafe in Nashville, where they are famous for melt in your mouth buttery biscuits.  I know I'll never be able to get close to making biscuits this good, but I tried, for the very first time, to bake them.  They were pretty good!  Brad and I enjoyed them a lot, although we both know they will never take the place of our favorite Nashville cafe!!

Buttermilk Biscuits:

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup chilled vegetable shortening
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons butter, melted

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.  Add shortening and using a pastry cutter blend until mixture looks like course crumbs.  Add buttermilk to center of dry ingredients and fold together.  Dough will be sticky.


Turn the dough out onto a floured board and fold over 3 or 4 times making layers.  Roll dough to 3/4 inch think.  Using a biscuit cutter or glass, cut biscuits into rounds.  Transfer to baking sheet, preferably non stick.  Brush the top of each biscuit with melted butter and bake at 400 degrees for 13 to 15 minutes until golden brown.  

  

I think next time I'll make them a bit thicker.  I like my biscuits thick.    Enjoy!!

Love,
Beth

1 comment:

  1. Yummy!! With butter and pot roast, one of my favorite meals LOL! keep the recipes coming, thank you

    ReplyDelete