Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

Pesto Pasta

This recipe tastes good and its easy!  What more could we ask for.  It gives you a creamy texture without any heavy cream.  It's one of my go-to recipes when I can't think of anything else to make for dinner or if I forgot to take something out of the freezer. 

Pesto Pasta:

8 oz pasta (I use angel hair)
1 cup milk
3 heaping tablespoons pesto (I use store bought but if your ambitious, make your own)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon evoo (extra virgin olive oil)
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese (I call this Italian cream cheese only it's lighter)

Cook the pasta until it's al dente. 
While the pasta is cooking, combine the mild, pesto, salt and pepper and set aside.
In a saucepan, heat the evoo and sprinkle the flour over it.  Whisk together and cook for 2 minutes.
Slowly add the milk/pesto mixture and cook for a few minutes to thicken, stirring constantly.
Remove the sauce from the heat and add the cheeses. 
Drain the pasta reserving about 1 cup of the cooking water. 
Toss the sauce and the pasta together.  If the pasta and sauce seems too thick for your liking, then add some of the pasta water, one tablespoon at a time until it reaches your desired consistancy. 


I know some people shy away from pesto because it has a strong flavor.  In this recipe, the pesto does not overpower the dish.  It gives the pasta a fresh, subtle flavor. 

Enjoy!!!
Love,
Beth

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to trying this one. Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I keep seeing the picture of this pasta on my blog roll and it looks so good. I get hungry every time I look at it. I'm going to have to get my hands on some pine-nut free pesto and give it a try. Yum!

    ReplyDelete